Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Zack's Broken Arm

July 23, 2008




We went to Ben's BBQ and were having a blast!!! Zack was inside watching TV with Hunter and Ivy, in Ben's room. They were on his bed and Hunter accidentally pushed Zack off the bed. Zack landed such that he completely broke his arm. We took him to Copperview Med. center, and the nurse took one look at his arm, and immediately went to get the doctor . The doctor came in and told us he would need to go up to Primary Children's Hospital. Zack would have to have surgery to fix this break. So off to primaries we go... When we get there they came out with a wheel chair for Zack, he really enjoyed that ride, we checked in and found out that two other kids were in for the same kind of break. They got an x-ray pretty fast and had us in a room with in an hour of arrival. Then came the fun; due to Zack's NDI he can't have a regular saline drip because it has to much sodium which I told the nurse. Then all of the specialist's had to come in to figure out what to do. The pediatric team, the ortho team, and the NDI specialists. They couldn't get him into surgery until the next day, which meant Zack couldn't have any water until after surgery. The next day (July 24th) being a holiday the ortho team was called into work just for the surgery. They put three pins in his arm and said that things went well. They put him in a soft cast to allow the swelling to go down. After what seemed like forever and much dispute between the different doctors they finally sent us home. Then a week later we went back in and Zack got a hard cast on. He started first grade with a cast on his right arm, but he did an amazing job with his left hand. That's my BOY!!








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I must be out of the loop! I thought when I saw him at Roger's wedding that he just had a simple broken arm. I totally should have asked. I am really sorry! How is he doing now? Take care and email me. Sheila (Darryl's wife)